This is a delicious bacon-
It is typically made as an early fall specialty, especially in the Black Forest area of Germany. It has typically been compared to the texture of quiche.
Onion Tart Recipe
Prep Time 35 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Total Time 1 hr 10 minutes
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter, cut into pieces, cold
- ¼ cup diced bacon
- 5 medium onions, cut into strips
- 1 cup double cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt, a little pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Grease a round 12 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Mix flour and ½ tsp salt in a bowl.
- Add butter and mix in until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix yeast with water.
- Add to flour mixture and quickly combine with a plastic pastry scraper to form a soft dough. Knead briefly.
- Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Roll into a circle and place it in the round greased pan.
- Poke holes in the bottom with a fork.
- Fry bacon in a frying pan until crispy. Put in a bowl.
- Reduce heat.
- Add onions and sautee until just soft.
- Add to bowl and mix.
- Cool the mixture and spread it over the base of the pastry.
- Mix double cream, milk, eggs, salt, and pepper well and our it over the filling.
- Bake the tart on a low rack for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove tart from pan, slice and serve warm.
Double cream can be made by melting 5 tablespoons of butter and mixing it with ¾ cup heavy whipping cream. Do not mix too long or it will turn back into butter.
- Swiss Tradition from the Alps to the Sierras - December 8, 2022
- Felchin Chocolate: The Best Chocolate in The World - April 2, 2019
- Gnocchi with Nettles - February 26, 2019